Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Civil War Trust: Battle of Dranesville Article

The Civil War Trust has just published a web page entirely dedicated to the Battle of Dranesville. The engagement, which took place on December 20, 1861, pitted Jeb Stuart's Confederates against soldiers from the Pennsylvania Reserves and resulted in a Union victory.  I am honored that the Civil War Trust asked me to contribute the lead article to their Dranesville page.  (A special thanks goes out to Rob Shenk, the Trust's Director of Internet Strategy and Development.)  Writing this piece allowed me to explore many tactical aspects of the little-known battle.  I also uncovered several interesting stories related to Dranesville. Along with the article, the Civil War Trust has published some modern-day photographs of locations connected to the battle.  Sadly, little remains of the actual battlefield, which has been marred by suburban development.  I'd encourage you to go to the Civil War Trust's site and check out the Dranesville page, and while visiting, learn more about how you can help preserve Civil War battlefields.


Postscript

On a related note, last year I wrote a general overview of the Battle of Dranesville and also took a closer look at "friendly fire" episodes during the engagement.

4 comments:

Vince said...

Great article. One of Easton's artillerymen, Pvt. George McElroy, wrote a couple letters to the Lancaster Daily Evening Express about the battle. Have you ever seen those? If not, I could email them to you.

Ron Baumgarten said...

Thanks, Vince. I am glad you liked it. You pretty much guessed it the other day when you wondered what I would have in store for readers on Dranesville! I may have seen those letters, but can't remember specifically. If you could email them to me, that would be great. Thanks!

Vince said...

Sent. At least one of the letters was up on the PRVC website (mislisted as the "Lebanon" Daily Evening Express--it's Lancaster), but the site's currently down.

Ron Baumgarten said...

Thanks, Vince. Yes, I noticed that the site has been down for a few weeks now. Luckily I had printed many of the Dranesville-related materials last year, so I was able to use them in writing the article. Hopefully that excellent resource will be back up and running soon.