Monday, May 14, 2012

Updates on the Battle of Lewinsville

If you are a frequent reader of this blog, then you are probably aware of my near-obsession with the "Battle of Lewinsville."  This engagement, which occurred on September 11, 1861, pitted a mixed Confederate force of infantry, cavalry, and artillery under Col. Jeb Stuart against a much larger group of Federals under the command of Col. Isaac Stevens.  Although the skirmish was tactically a draw, both sides boasted of victory.  I live down the street from the site of Lewinsville, which is now part of McLean, Virginia.  A portion of the skirmish took place on ground that today belongs to Lewinsville Park.


When I first started writing about local Civil War history, I noticed the lack of any markers in McLean commemorating what had happened at Lewinsville.  I started to think about the possibilities of getting a new marker installed.  However, in October 2010, while attending a marker dedication for Salona, I learned from Fairfax County History Commissioner Carole Herrick that a Civil War Trails marker for the Battle of Lewinsville was already in the works.  I am happy to announce that the marker is finally going to be installed at Lewinsville Park this summer.  An unveiling is planned at the park for Sunday, July 1, at 4 p.m.  The marker was paid for with county funds and is sponsored in part by the group "McLean & Great Falls Celebrate Virginia."  (Click here for a map and driving directions.)  I'll be sure to post any other information as it becomes available.  I also understand that Fairfax will be unveiling around five other Civil War Trails markers in the near future.

On a related note, the McLean Historical Society has started filming its monthly meetings and downloading the videos to Vimeo.  Herrick's February 2012 lecture on Battle of Lewinsville is now available for viewing.  Click here to access the video and see what this noted local historian has to say about this small but interesting early engagement.  As you might imagine, I am thrilled to see that the "Battle of Lewinsville" is finally getting some love!

2 comments:

Chris Barry said...

Outstanding news. And I look forward to watching the video of the lecture. A perfect thing for me to do on a day I'm home sick from work!

Ron Baumgarten said...

Chris--As a fellow Lewinsville enthusiast, I thought you might like hearing the news! Now you'll have a reason to come back and check out the battle site. I will post plenty of pics once the sign is up at Lewinsville Park. Enjoy the video, too