Friday, January 4, 2013

Upcoming Speaking Engagement: Civil War Camps of McLean

I wanted to let readers know that I will be speaking to the McLean Historical Society (MHS) on Tuesday, January 8.  Paul Kohlenberger, the president of that organization, graciously invited me to give a talk on the Civil War encampments in the McLean, Virginia area.  This will be my second speaking engagement before the MHS, and I look forward to sharing what I have learned while researching and writing about Camps Advance, Griffin, and Pierpont.  Camp Advance served as the Union Army's initial foothold in Virginia near Chain Bridge.  Camps Griffin and Pierpont played home to over 20,000 boys in blue from October 1861 to March 1862.  I plan to discuss the origins and locations of these camps.  I will also take a look at life in the camps, including such topics as daily army routine, military reviews, foraging expeditions, distractions and amusements, food and shelter, sickness and hospitals, and the impact on civilians. 

I hope to see you next week in McLean!

Event Details

Where:
McLean Community Center
1234 Ingleside Avenue
McLean, Virginia 22101

Date and Time:
Tuesday, January 8 @ 7:30 pm

The event is free of charge, and no reservations are required. For more information, see here.

No comments: