Near the confluence of Goose Creek and Crooked Run we pulled off Rt. 17 and stopped at Delaplane. This tiny hamlet, known as Piedmont Station during the Civil War, appears much as it did in the mid-nineteenth century. The Manassas Gap Railroad reached the area in 1852. The company decided to place a new station near the point where the railroad crossed the vital transportation link of the Dumfries-Winchester Road (now Rt. 17). The town grew up around the station, and by the start of the Civil War, had become an important rail center in Fauquier County. Piedmont Station was renamed Delaplane in 1874 and today is designated as a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Civil War Trails marker on Delaplane Grade Rd., just to the south of the old Manassas Gap Railroad line. Today the tracks are part of the Norfolk Southern system.|
|Close-up of the Civil War Trails marker. (More information can be found here on the Historical Marker Database.) The marker makes the claim that "[h]ere. . . trains were used for the first time in history to move troops to impending battle."|
|Another view of the antebellum railroad buildings, taken from Rokeby Rd. The railroad line runs in front of the buildings.|
|Looking west down the old Manassas Gap Railroad tracks from Rokeby Rd. in Delaplane. A Virginia State Historical Marker on Piedmont Station and First Manassas sits to the right. (See here for text.) The white SUV is traveling south on Rt. 17, the old Dumfries-Winchester Rd.|
William C. Davis, Battle at Bull Run (1985 ed.); Bradley M. Gottfried, The Maps of First Bull Run (2009); Joseph E. Johnston, Narrative of Military Operations (1874); National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, Delaplane Historic District (2003); Ethan Rafuse, A Single Grand Victory: The First Campaign and Battle of Manassas (2002).