Friday, August 13, 2010

In the Interest of Full Disclosure....


The subtitle of this blog is "A DC Lawyer on the Civil War."  I am soon taking a new position within my agency, the Office of the United States Trade Representative.  (Housed, incidentally, in a building occupied by the Quartermaster General during the Civil War, but more on that in a future entry!)  I will no longer be a practicing attorney with the Office of the General Counsel, but instead will be a director working on agricultural trade policy and negotiations.  However, because I am still a member of the DC Bar, I suppose it is safe to keep the subtitle for this blog.  Once a lawyer, always a lawyer--for better or for worse!  By the way, one of our former U.S. Trade Representatives, Ambassador Bob Zoellick, was an avid Civil War buff.  He actually took a European Union delegation to the Gettysburg battlefield and had them read The Killer Angels before the trip.  According to an account in Misadventures of the Most Favored Nations, Zoellick actually corrected the Gettysburg tour guide!

2 comments:

Harry said...

The Winder Building - SWEET! I wrote a little bit about it here:

http://bullrunnings.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/a-few-dc-civil-war-sites/

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the building from an "insider".

Ron Baumgarten said...

Harry--

Thanks for sharing the link. I had not heard of the First Bull Run connection to Winder.

Without giving too much away, I will explore some of the myths that are associated with the building. The only reason I haven't posted is because they are renovating the sides of the building, and it is draped in one giant tarp, so I can't take any photos. The inside was renovated some years ago. The 70s drop ceilings and lighting were removed, and the Civil War-era elements were more prominently featured.

I have to say that as a Civil War enthusiast, it is great to work in a building that was used by the government back then for war-related purposes! I guess you could say that I could channel the spirit of Meigs....

Ron