Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pennsylvania and the Civil War Website


As a native of the Pittsburgh area, I enjoy studying and writing about Pennsylvania's involvement in the Civil War.  In particular, I have started to focus on the Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps, which was camped around Langley in 1861-62.  (See here and here.)  I plan to do future posts which will go into more detail on the lives of the soliders from the Keystone State who stayed at Camp Pierpont.  This line of research will allow me to tie together my interests in local history and the history of my home state.


On a related note, I thought readers might be interested in the Pennsylvania state website for the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War, "Pennsylvania Civil War 150."  The website provides background on Pennsylvania's involvement in the Civil War and discusses the lives of those who contributed to the Northern war effort, from Governor Andrew Curtin to Martin Robison Delany, the highest ranking African-American solider.  The site also includes information on planning a trip to Civil War-related spots throughout the state.

No comments: